In the midst of a world crying out for us to have more fun, food, pleasure, money etc., we are saving room in our hearts / lives for the God who calls us, “Come near to Me” and a Savior who calls us, “Come and follow me.”
- Matt 11:28-30 – “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
- Luke 9:23-25 – Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?
Denying self in the midst of a world that seeks self? – 1 John 2:15–17
Fastening self to God’s purpose for our lives! –
- Fast = adhering firmly, stuck, not easily freed,
- Fasten = to make fast/secure, to fix firmly and securely
Placing God above our own appetites?
- Php 3:18,19 – For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.
- Reminding ourselves that we have chosen God above all other desires! We are drawing near to God – James 4:8.